Arnold Local History Group
Looking to the future with one eye on the past.
For those interested in history, I’ve taken charge of an overhaul of my local history group’s website. The Arnold Local History Group is an established and growing organisation that offers education courses, events and exhibitions based on the town of Ernehale ‘The place of Eagles’, as it was formerly known.
The Old North Road of ‘immemorial antiquity’. Mansfield Road, Redhill, Nottingham pictured in 1925
Mansfield Road (above) which travels through our borough and close to my home fulfilled the role of joining the North and the South of England together and is arguably one of the oldest roads, if not the most ancient, in the United Kingdom. Almost certainly, a Stone Age animal path wending its way through Sherwood Forest originally it rose to prominence and importance as the main road from London to York. There are records of a 9th Century Danish Viking invasion marching from York to the city of Nottingham four miles to the south along the predecessor of the byway and accounts of William the Conqueror travelling what later became known as ‘The Turnpike Road’.
The site has some unique and high quality content for anyone with an interest in or link to the town and thereabouts or for those with a liking for history in general. The Arnold Local History Group site is available at:
Regular updates can also be found on the ALHG Twitter feed:
No comments yet.
The Tracks of My Tears
Hi, my name is Stuart Frew and I began The Tears of a Clown in August 2007 after experimenting with a few online ideas as a repository for my thoughts and words. My favoured themes can be located below as can a full site search and historical archives for the site. I like to talk about sport (Hibernian FC in particular), music, history and travel, amongst many diverse topics. I’m trained in Psychology but no, sadly, I can’t read your mind.
Please take a look around and feel free to leave a comment or two. I always attempt to reply to visitor’s contributions. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read the site.
Search this Site
- 685,439 Views
- View From A College Window
- On Mothering Sunday Week…
- Byron and Boatswain
- The Cockle Man of Nottingham
- Denis Law – The King
- Tommy Gemmell ‘Lisbon Lion’
- Queen’s Chambers, Nottingham
- On A Hillside Far Away
- Goodbye, Philippe Montanier
- Christmas Approaches in Southwell
- Ice Bars
- Nottingham Exchange Arcade
- Nottingham’s Medieval Town Wall
- Hibs open Easter Road on Christmas Day for those less fortunate
- My Generation
I Wrote About:Arnold Belvoir bestwood Big Country Blogging Brian Clough Canada Canadiens catholic caves celtic Clough derbyshire derek riordan Easter Road eddie turnbull edinburgh Epperstone Football Forest Frew Goose Fair grantham Grantham Canal halloween Harby Hibernian Hibs highlands hockey Hoveringham ice hockey kelowna Linby liverpool love Lowdham Lowdham Book Festival mansfield Marathon Meadow Lane Montreal Newstead Abbey Nottingham Nottingham Forest nottingham panthers Nottingham pubs nottinghamshire notts Notts County Okanagan Old Market Square panthers Papplewick pat stanton peachland penticton Petrie pubs Rangers Redhill Robin Hood robin hood marathon ross-shire Running scotland Snow Soul Southwell Stuart Adamson The Who Walking walks Woodborough Woolsthorpe
- RT @OtisRedding: Eddie Floyd, Sam Moore, Steve Cropper, Otis Redding, Wayne Jackson and Arthur Conley at the airport in England, 1967. #Sou… 5 days ago
- RT @OtisRedding: “[Otis is] a big powerful man with a powerful voice and too many hit records to put into one act.” - Melody Maker, 1967 #O… 3 weeks ago
- ˙ǝʞɐɔ uʍop-ǝpısdn ɟo ǝɔıls ǝɔıu ɐ pǝʎoɾuǝ ʇsnɾ https://t.co/ia2q7CA4ro 3 weeks ago
- RT @northumbriana: This is superb: Norwegian sailors singing a sea shanty as they sail into Bergen harbour. #Vikings /via @paulcareyjones… 3 weeks ago
- RT @MichaelRees84: The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever youtu.be/8UQK-UcRezE 1 month ago
- RT @MountainButorac: Took my Goddaughter to meet the pope. She stole his hat! https://t.co/SdSorop3uN 1 month ago
- @PennyKnapp The same to you, Penny. Bless you, dear. 1 month ago
- The Old Bridge – Richard Broom Photography on The Ten Bridges of Newark-on-Trent
- Stuart on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- Colin smith on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- J on First Degree Murder
- poetesstx on My Generation
- Stuart on Tommy Gemmell ‘Lisbon Lion’
- Mark on Tommy Gemmell ‘Lisbon Lion’
- Stuart on Queen’s Chambers, Nottingham
- Clive Bagshaw on Queen’s Chambers, Nottingham
- Stuart on On A Hillside Far Away
Site infoThe Tears of a Clown
Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.