Gairloch is a nice day visit from Ullapool, perhaps with another stop or two along the way. The road between the two villages along the coast has been rated as one of the top six drives in the world. By anybodies standards it is a truly beautiful journey. Look out for views of the magnificent An teallach. Of note is the arresting sight of Gruinard Bay, a long horseshoe-shaped sandy bay looking over to Gruinard Island. The latter became infamous during the last war as a biological warfare testing base by military scientists resulting in its nickname ‘Anthrax Island’. It’s uninhabited for obvious reasons so you won’t be popping over there for a visit. Do stay for refreshments and splendid sea air at beautiful Gruinard Bay however – most worthwhile.
Another pleasant visit in the district of Gairloch is Inverewe Gardens near Poolewe. The large grounds were the brainchild of Osgood McKenzie who made full use of the Gulf Stream’s protective climate.
Gairloch itself has a pretty harbour and some nice shops and places to eat. Round to the south of the Loch sits Badachro with its ancient inn overlooking the sailing boats in the harbour. Further along at the road ends lies glorious Redpoint. On my last visit, there stood a single hotel and a few homes. The real beauty is in the fabulous beach of white sand. Redpoint is yet another point of past emigration and has its own tales to tell. Now though all that remains is Redpoint’s emptiness and vast natural beach which can resemble a lunar landscape.
Beach at Redpoint
The Tracks of My Tears
Hi, my name is Stuart Frew and I began The Tears of a Clown in August 2007 after experimenting with a few online ideas as a repository for my thoughts and words. My favoured themes can be located below as can a full site search and historical archives for the site. I like to talk about sport (Hibernian FC in particular), music, history and travel, amongst many diverse topics. I’m trained in Psychology but no, sadly, I can’t read your mind.
Please take a look around and feel free to leave a comment or two. I always attempt to reply to visitor’s contributions. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read the site.
Search this Site
- 670,365 Views
- ‘Market Square, Nottingham’ by Arthur Spencer
- ‘We Must Always Love Our Own, Stuart’
- Southwell Minster, Southwell, Nottinghamshire.
- Rest in Peace, Jackie Sewell
- Three Things About Nottingham
- Jeremy Corbyn and Labour
- The Strange Saga of Hughie Green
- Notts County 1975/6
- The Beatles – Practice Makes Perfect
- The Prince
- Focusing on Suicide Prevention
- The Left Lion and Nottingham’s Old Market Square
- Lewis Stevenson – Celebrating Ten Years
- Joe Baker – Gentleman and Legend
- Football Disconnected From its Supporters?
I Wrote About:Arnold Belvoir bestwood Big Country Blogging Brian Clough Canada Canadiens catholic caves celtic Clough derbyshire derek riordan Dirty Duck Easter Road eddie turnbull edinburgh Epperstone Football Forest Frew Goose Fair grantham Grantham Canal halloween Harby Hibernian Hibs highlands hockey Hoveringham ice hockey kelowna Linby liverpool love Lowdham Lowdham Book Festival mansfield Marathon Meadow Lane Montreal Newstead Abbey Nottingham Nottingham Forest nottingham panthers Nottingham pubs nottinghamshire notts Notts County Okanagan panthers Papplewick pat stanton peachland penticton Petrie pubs Rangers Redhill Robin Hood robin hood marathon ross-shire Running scotland Snow Soul Southwell Stuart Adamson The Who Walking walks Woodborough Woolsthorpe
- Psychology: How a Woman's Mind Works
- When one lie leads to another...
- Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- Hibernian Football Club: The Easter Road Tour
- Sweet - Funny Funny
- Southwell Minster, Southwell, Nottinghamshire.
- World Cup 2010: South Africa 1 Mexico 1
- Bottesford's Secret...
- The Nags Head, Woodborough, Nottinghamshire
- Mablethorpe, Lincolnshire
- @FiveLeavesBooks will check that out, thanks, Sean! 1 week ago
- Latest blog from The Tears of a Clown: 'Market Square, Nottingham' by Arthur Spencer. stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2016/10/15/mar… https://t.co/DwGPpFP18V 1 week ago
- RT @CrazyinRussia: Donald Trump visiting Russia. https://t.co/DInqOcOMlq 1 week ago
- RT @CJohnstonNI: Thanks for the photos and for your great work, RTs appreciated @SeedheadArts @Belfast_Beyond @bfast1 @bohoman https://t.co… 2 weeks ago
- RT @HibeesBounce: For the Legend that is Shaun McKinley https://t.co/6OQ5VpvSl6 2 weeks ago
- @iain4546 @Fritz1875 Switch over, Dub. Only Fools and Horse is on Gold! 2 weeks ago
- Latest blog from The Tears of a Clown: Goose Fair memories, 'We Must Always Love Our Own, Stuart' #GooseFair… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 2 weeks ago
- kim barratt on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- PorchesterBus on ‘We Must Always Love Our Own, Stuart’
- Stuart on Ring Ring Goes the Bell!
- Nina on Ring Ring Goes the Bell!
- Stuart on Thursday Nights – It’s Reunion Time
- John Ronald on Thursday Nights – It’s Reunion Time
- Stuart on Southwell Minster, Southwell, Nottinghamshire.
- Janet on Southwell Minster, Southwell, Nottinghamshire.
- Stuart on An Afternoon with Jimmy Sirrel
- Ian McLaughlin on An Afternoon with Jimmy Sirrel
Site infoThe Tears of a Clown
Blog at WordPress.com.