This article was inspired by an the excellent archived article Things The Arena Generation Will Never Know… from the original hard copy fanzine version of The Cat’s Whiskers website
It’s reproduced from an article I wrote for that excellent site and is a list of twelve different memories from the original Nottingham Ice Rink located on Lower parliament Street, Nottingham, which part of the modern Nottingham Arena now stands on. The memories and nostalgia travel right back to season 1980/81 when The Nottingham Panthers were reformed and brought back to The Lace City.
The man who made it all possible. Gary Keward, Coach and reformer of the modern era Nottingham Panthers.
Whilst the memories itemised here and mostly positive one, It’s important to add that not all my experiences were as savoury when visiting the old barn. I could probably wax less than lyrical on that subject though that’s probably another article entirely. In the meantime, here are a dozen of the best that come immediately to mind. I’m sure any fan of the Black and Gold, and a good few visiting fans will find pleasant memories jogged by the following.
1. The tiny little tuck shop with the sweetie jars as you turned left after the front foyer. Always a friendly face or two peering out from the little store on game night. None of that ‘concessions’ nonsense.
2. The life-size cardboard cut out figure of the ‘new’ hockey hero Mario Lemieux in the old skate shop in the foyer. We were thrilling to the exploits of ‘The Great One’, Wayne Gretzky and watching the powerhouse Edmonton Oilers on all-to-rare an occasion on our British TV screens when ‘The Magnificent One’ came along. Just like having the real thing…
The Tracks of My Tears
Hi, my name is Stuart Frew and I began The Tears of a Clown in August 2007 after experimenting with a few online ideas as a repository for my thoughts and words. My favoured themes can be located below as can a full site search and historical archives for the site. I like to talk about sport (Hibernian FC in particular), music, history and travel, amongst many diverse topics. I’m trained in Psychology but no, sadly, I can’t read your mind.
Please take a look around and feel free to leave a comment or two. I always attempt to reply to visitor’s contributions. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read the site.
Search this Site
- 670,283 Views
- ‘Market Square, Nottingham’ by Arthur Spencer
- ‘We Must Always Love Our Own, Stuart’
- Southwell Minster, Southwell, Nottinghamshire.
- Rest in Peace, Jackie Sewell
- Three Things About Nottingham
- Jeremy Corbyn and Labour
- The Strange Saga of Hughie Green
- Notts County 1975/6
- The Beatles – Practice Makes Perfect
- The Prince
- Focusing on Suicide Prevention
- The Left Lion and Nottingham’s Old Market Square
- Lewis Stevenson – Celebrating Ten Years
- Joe Baker – Gentleman and Legend
- Football Disconnected From its Supporters?
I Wrote About:Arnold Belvoir bestwood Big Country Blogging Brian Clough Canada Canadiens catholic caves celtic Clough derbyshire derek riordan Dirty Duck Easter Road eddie turnbull edinburgh Epperstone Football Forest Frew Goose Fair grantham Grantham Canal halloween Harby Hibernian Hibs highlands hockey Hoveringham ice hockey kelowna Linby liverpool love Lowdham Lowdham Book Festival mansfield Marathon Meadow Lane Montreal Newstead Abbey Nottingham Nottingham Forest nottingham panthers Nottingham pubs nottinghamshire notts Notts County Okanagan panthers Papplewick pat stanton peachland penticton Petrie pubs Rangers Redhill Robin Hood robin hood marathon ross-shire Running scotland Snow Soul Southwell Stuart Adamson The Who Walking walks Woodborough Woolsthorpe
- Psychology: How a Woman's Mind Works
- When one lie leads to another...
- Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- The Park Tunnel, Nottingham
- Mablethorpe, Lincolnshire
- A Short History of Hibernian Football Club
- Nottingham Mushy Peas!
- Land of Legend and Dreams, Sherwood Forest and The Major Oak
- Southwell Minster, Southwell, Nottinghamshire.
- Bottesford's Secret...
- @FiveLeavesBooks will check that out, thanks, Sean! 6 days ago
- Latest blog from The Tears of a Clown: 'Market Square, Nottingham' by Arthur Spencer. stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2016/10/15/mar… https://t.co/DwGPpFP18V 1 week ago
- RT @CrazyinRussia: Donald Trump visiting Russia. https://t.co/DInqOcOMlq 1 week ago
- RT @CJohnstonNI: Thanks for the photos and for your great work, RTs appreciated @SeedheadArts @Belfast_Beyond @bfast1 @bohoman https://t.co… 2 weeks ago
- RT @HibeesBounce: For the Legend that is Shaun McKinley https://t.co/6OQ5VpvSl6 2 weeks ago
- @iain4546 @Fritz1875 Switch over, Dub. Only Fools and Horse is on Gold! 2 weeks ago
- Latest blog from The Tears of a Clown: Goose Fair memories, 'We Must Always Love Our Own, Stuart' #GooseFair… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 2 weeks ago
- kim barratt on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- PorchesterBus on ‘We Must Always Love Our Own, Stuart’
- Stuart on Ring Ring Goes the Bell!
- Nina on Ring Ring Goes the Bell!
- Stuart on Thursday Nights – It’s Reunion Time
- John Ronald on Thursday Nights – It’s Reunion Time
- Stuart on Southwell Minster, Southwell, Nottinghamshire.
- Janet on Southwell Minster, Southwell, Nottinghamshire.
- Stuart on An Afternoon with Jimmy Sirrel
- Ian McLaughlin on An Afternoon with Jimmy Sirrel
Site infoThe Tears of a Clown
Blog at WordPress.com.