Scanning the online news last evening I viewed with some dismay the sad story of Notts County’s Manager and former playing hero, Ian McParland.
I’m pretty well disposed towards ‘Charlie’, I watched him from the Meadow Lane terraces on many occasions when his hugely impressive goal-scoring output made him an enigmatic and revered figure to the black and white faithful. Those days brought him many plaudits in local football of the era – not least when Brian Clough attempted to sign him for the high-flying Nottingham Forest of the day. Notts County vetoed that career move for the man from East Lothian and it seems that history now repeats itself in the way they treat this man with the blood of the game running through his veins, as they unceremoniously dump him from the Meadow Lane managerial role.
I have to confess here, I’m a little angry about this decision. I follow Notts these days as merely a (slightly intrigued) observer but I feel a wrong has been done here. I also feel that Sven and/or whoever has made this crass decision may have misread the public’s attitude towards what they are attempting to achieve at Notts County and the methods they are employing in going about that.
The Tracks of My Tears
Hi, my name is Stuart Frew and I began The Tears of a Clown in August 2007 after experimenting with a few online ideas as a repository for my thoughts and words. My favoured themes can be located below as can a full site search and historical archives for the site. I like to talk about sport (Hibernian FC in particular), music, history and travel, amongst many diverse topics. I’m trained in Psychology but no, sadly, I can’t read your mind.
Please take a look around and feel free to leave a comment or two. I always attempt to reply to visitor’s contributions. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read the site.
Search this Site
- 628,614 Views
I Wrote About:Arnold Belvoir bestwood Big Country Blogging Brian Clough Canada Canadiens catholic caves celtic Clough derbyshire derek riordan Easter Road EasterRoad eddie turnbull edinburgh Epperstone Football Forest Frew Goose Fair Gordon Smith grantham Grantham Canal halloween Harby Hibernian Hibs highlands hockey Hoveringham I CAN HEAR MUSIC ice hockey kelowna Linby liverpool love Lowdham Lowdham Book Festival mansfield Marathon Meadow Lane Montreal Newstead Abbey Nottingham nottingham panthers Nottingham pubs nottinghamshire notts Notts County Okanagan panthers Papplewick pat stanton peachland penticton Petrie pubs Rangers Redhill Robin Hood robin hood marathon ross-shire Running scotland Snow Soul Southwell Stuart Adamson The Who Walking walks Woodborough
- Psychology: How a Woman's Mind Works
- Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- The Ten Bridges of Newark-on-Trent
- The Small Faces – Room for Ravers
- A Highland Tour: (5) Durness
- Mablethorpe, Lincolnshire
- The Grantham Canal Walk (3): Kinoulton to Harby
- The Tracks of My Tears
- Canada '08: The Cars are the Stars - Americans
- When one lie leads to another...
- Rest in Peace Clive Rice, South African, Nottinghamshire cricket legend. You were fabulous mate and made our county great once more, 9 hours ago
- @PuddlesPityP Thanks for the Follow, Puddles. Hoping to catch you at the Edinburgh Fringe for some true sorrow in Scotland. 12 hours ago
- @IanColquhounMA Not sure but that sounds right, Ian. Wasn't the interview where he destroyed John Motson though was it? 1 week ago
- @IanColquhounMA 'You don't want roast beef and Yorkshire every night and twice on Sunday.’ #Clough 1 week ago
- My latest blog: The story of a hidden, historic curiosity of Nottingham, the Park Tunnel. stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2015/06/13/the… http://t.co/RJzOCITU8h 1 month ago
- RT @HibsOfficial: The story of 77 year old season ticket holder Jimmy Caskie & his random act of kindness: facebook.com/HibernianFootb… http://t… 2 months ago
- RT @PoliticsPunked: Boxing match between Charlotte Church & Katie Hopkins. RT support for @charlottechurch Fav support for @KTHopkins http… 2 months ago
- neil on The Ten o’clock Horses
- Stuart on The Park Tunnel, Nottingham
- Andy (NCCLols) on The Park Tunnel, Nottingham
- Jo Pereira-Mendoza on The Jewish Cemetery, North Sherwood Street, Nottingham
- Stuart on Sweet – Funny Funny
- peter on Sweet – Funny Funny
- PorchesterBus on The Park Tunnel, Nottingham
- Stuart on Football on St. Mary’s Rec
- Gordon Murdock on Football on St. Mary’s Rec
- Arsenic and Old Lace | dreamboat123 on The Ten Bridges of Newark-on-Trent