A very wet day today (all over the UK apparently) and the prospect of running more than a few miles was not a welcoming one. Rain pouring down, I pulled out some of my winter training gear, unbelievably for mid-summer, and decided on a few laps of the disused road near my home. the reasoning was that I could quit as soon as I’d had enough, call it a day and head home for a hot shower and drink.
Running laps always presents me with the problem of actually counting them them and keeping in touch with how far I’ve run and up at my little local route I devised a little system with a bunch of limestone rocks at the side of the road. Simply this, I’d count them off, one per lap, kicking them to one side after each lap was completed. I’m always confounded as to how mental arithmetic evades me whilst running as my brains appear to become increasingly scrambling the more tied I get.
Then some passer-by strangely took my rocks away!
I needed a counter and the first thing that came to mind were the fresh garden peas in the refrigerator, nestling still in their pods! Left-hand trouser pocket full of peas, I headed off on my initial lap, swapping a pea into the right-hand pocket after each lap. It worked like a dream!
An intended five miles (10 laps) evolved into eight miles then finally ten miles. It’s often this way when I get the bit between the teeth. A little music was important today and it was the Godfather of Soul himself, James Brown, that got things under way today as I skipped down the old lane. It was Get on the Good Foot rather appropriately.
Which I did.
The Tracks of My Tears
Hi, my name is Stuart Frew and I began The Tears of a Clown in August 2007 after experimenting with a few online ideas as a repository for my thoughts and words. My favoured themes can be located below as can a full site search and historical archives for the site. I like to talk about sport (Hibernian FC in particular), music, history and travel, amongst many diverse topics. I’m trained in Psychology but no, sadly, I can’t read your mind.
Please take a look around and feel free to leave a comment or two. I always attempt to reply to visitor’s contributions. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read the site.
Search this Site
- 670,333 Views
- ‘Market Square, Nottingham’ by Arthur Spencer
- ‘We Must Always Love Our Own, Stuart’
- Southwell Minster, Southwell, Nottinghamshire.
- Rest in Peace, Jackie Sewell
- Three Things About Nottingham
- Jeremy Corbyn and Labour
- The Strange Saga of Hughie Green
- Notts County 1975/6
- The Beatles – Practice Makes Perfect
- The Prince
- Focusing on Suicide Prevention
- The Left Lion and Nottingham’s Old Market Square
- Lewis Stevenson – Celebrating Ten Years
- Joe Baker – Gentleman and Legend
- Football Disconnected From its Supporters?
I Wrote About:Arnold Belvoir bestwood Big Country Blogging Brian Clough Canada Canadiens catholic caves celtic Clough derbyshire derek riordan Dirty Duck Easter Road eddie turnbull edinburgh Epperstone Football Forest Frew Goose Fair grantham Grantham Canal halloween Harby Hibernian Hibs highlands hockey Hoveringham ice hockey kelowna Linby liverpool love Lowdham Lowdham Book Festival mansfield Marathon Meadow Lane Montreal Newstead Abbey Nottingham Nottingham Forest nottingham panthers Nottingham pubs nottinghamshire notts Notts County Okanagan panthers Papplewick pat stanton peachland penticton Petrie pubs Rangers Redhill Robin Hood robin hood marathon ross-shire Running scotland Snow Soul Southwell Stuart Adamson The Who Walking walks Woodborough Woolsthorpe
- When one lie leads to another...
- Psychology: How a Woman's Mind Works
- Bottesford's Secret...
- Southwell Minster, Southwell, Nottinghamshire.
- The Park Tunnel, Nottingham
- World Cup 2010: South Africa 1 Mexico 1
- Mablethorpe, Lincolnshire
- Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- Sweet - Funny Funny
- The Nags Head, Woodborough, Nottinghamshire
- @FiveLeavesBooks will check that out, thanks, Sean! 1 week ago
- Latest blog from The Tears of a Clown: 'Market Square, Nottingham' by Arthur Spencer. stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2016/10/15/mar… https://t.co/DwGPpFP18V 1 week ago
- RT @CrazyinRussia: Donald Trump visiting Russia. https://t.co/DInqOcOMlq 1 week ago
- RT @CJohnstonNI: Thanks for the photos and for your great work, RTs appreciated @SeedheadArts @Belfast_Beyond @bfast1 @bohoman https://t.co… 2 weeks ago
- RT @HibeesBounce: For the Legend that is Shaun McKinley https://t.co/6OQ5VpvSl6 2 weeks ago
- @iain4546 @Fritz1875 Switch over, Dub. Only Fools and Horse is on Gold! 2 weeks ago
- Latest blog from The Tears of a Clown: Goose Fair memories, 'We Must Always Love Our Own, Stuart' #GooseFair… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 2 weeks ago
- kim barratt on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- PorchesterBus on ‘We Must Always Love Our Own, Stuart’
- Stuart on Ring Ring Goes the Bell!
- Nina on Ring Ring Goes the Bell!
- Stuart on Thursday Nights – It’s Reunion Time
- John Ronald on Thursday Nights – It’s Reunion Time
- Stuart on Southwell Minster, Southwell, Nottinghamshire.
- Janet on Southwell Minster, Southwell, Nottinghamshire.
- Stuart on An Afternoon with Jimmy Sirrel
- Ian McLaughlin on An Afternoon with Jimmy Sirrel
Site infoThe Tears of a Clown
Blog at WordPress.com.