Canada ’08: The Kelowna Daily Courier – Annie’s Mailbox
I came across this outstanding contribution to ‘Annie’s Mailbox’ in the Daily Courier this morning and just had to share. Don’t you just love those ‘Agony Aunt’ columns – places where you can read of the bizarre happenings in others’ lives. It’s a neat little downward social comparison. You can be most thankful it’s not you in there.
The following lady has encountered a problem with her neighbour who she describes as ‘the Stud’. The elderly lady writing in receives some good, down-home advice as usual from Kathy Mitchell and Marcy, – ‘longtime editors of the Ann Landers column’.
“DEAR ANNIE I have a problem with my next-door neighbor. He is a retired man, very religious, and when he talks to me, he’s forever adjusting his you-know-what.
It is so embarrassing that I don’t even want to say hello to him. He is 62 and has a lovely wife. I am in my 80s. Do you suppose he has a medical problem? Or does he think he’s giving me a thrill? How can I let him know his actions are repulsive? – Not interested in the Stud.”
“DEAR NOT INTERESTED: For the sake of being a good neighbor, you should ask if he has a medical problem. The next time this happens, say with a straight face and great concern, “You ought to have that checked. It could be serious.” Or you can tell his wife that you are worried about the constant scratching and he should see his doctor. Since you are only discussing his health the mortification will be minimal.”
No comments yet.
The Tracks of My Tears
Hi, my name is Stuart Frew and I began The Tears of a Clown in August 2007 after experimenting with a few online ideas as a repository for my thoughts and words. My favoured themes can be located below as can a full site search and historical archives for the site. I like to talk about sport (Hibernian FC in particular), music, history and travel, amongst many diverse topics. I’m trained in Psychology but no, sadly, I can’t read your mind.
Please take a look around and feel free to leave a comment or two. I always attempt to reply to visitor’s contributions. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read the site.
Search this Site
- 685,439 Views
- View From A College Window
- On Mothering Sunday Week…
- Byron and Boatswain
- The Cockle Man of Nottingham
- Denis Law – The King
- Tommy Gemmell ‘Lisbon Lion’
- Queen’s Chambers, Nottingham
- On A Hillside Far Away
- Goodbye, Philippe Montanier
- Christmas Approaches in Southwell
- Ice Bars
- Nottingham Exchange Arcade
- Nottingham’s Medieval Town Wall
- Hibs open Easter Road on Christmas Day for those less fortunate
- My Generation
I Wrote About:Arnold Belvoir bestwood Big Country Blogging Brian Clough Canada Canadiens catholic caves celtic Clough derbyshire derek riordan Easter Road eddie turnbull edinburgh Epperstone Football Forest Frew Goose Fair grantham Grantham Canal halloween Harby Hibernian Hibs highlands hockey Hoveringham ice hockey kelowna Linby liverpool love Lowdham Lowdham Book Festival mansfield Marathon Meadow Lane Montreal Newstead Abbey Nottingham Nottingham Forest nottingham panthers Nottingham pubs nottinghamshire notts Notts County Okanagan Old Market Square panthers Papplewick pat stanton peachland penticton Petrie pubs Rangers Redhill Robin Hood robin hood marathon ross-shire Running scotland Snow Soul Southwell Stuart Adamson The Who Walking walks Woodborough Woolsthorpe
- RT @OtisRedding: Eddie Floyd, Sam Moore, Steve Cropper, Otis Redding, Wayne Jackson and Arthur Conley at the airport in England, 1967. #Sou… 5 days ago
- RT @OtisRedding: “[Otis is] a big powerful man with a powerful voice and too many hit records to put into one act.” - Melody Maker, 1967 #O… 3 weeks ago
- ˙ǝʞɐɔ uʍop-ǝpısdn ɟo ǝɔıls ǝɔıu ɐ pǝʎoɾuǝ ʇsnɾ https://t.co/ia2q7CA4ro 3 weeks ago
- RT @northumbriana: This is superb: Norwegian sailors singing a sea shanty as they sail into Bergen harbour. #Vikings /via @paulcareyjones… 3 weeks ago
- RT @MichaelRees84: The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever youtu.be/8UQK-UcRezE 1 month ago
- RT @MountainButorac: Took my Goddaughter to meet the pope. She stole his hat! https://t.co/SdSorop3uN 1 month ago
- @PennyKnapp The same to you, Penny. Bless you, dear. 1 month ago
- The Old Bridge – Richard Broom Photography on The Ten Bridges of Newark-on-Trent
- Stuart on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- Colin smith on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- J on First Degree Murder
- poetesstx on My Generation
- Stuart on Tommy Gemmell ‘Lisbon Lion’
- Mark on Tommy Gemmell ‘Lisbon Lion’
- Stuart on Queen’s Chambers, Nottingham
- Clive Bagshaw on Queen’s Chambers, Nottingham
- Stuart on On A Hillside Far Away
Site infoThe Tears of a Clown
Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.