But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.
‘Hibernian was run by St. Patrick’s CYMS as an amateur charitable football club. The charitable work of Hibernian became legendary not only in Edinburgh but throughout Scotland’, (Lugton, 1999).
I’d like to talk about what I think of as the soul and ethos of Hibernian Football Club. The legacy, set firmly in place by Canon Hannan is one of decency, charity and giving. It is one of helping others and offering a helping hand where needed. That Edinburgh Hibernian came about was no accident, no casual happening, but was a concept of the kindly Canon in his quest to assist others. For this, I am personally very proud. Canon Hannan and club captain (and ancestor of Hibs great, Pat Stanton), Michael Whelahan, along with many like-minded men, wove the rich fabric of the early years of the club. The venerable organisation that belonged to and performed charitable deeds in the community of Edinburgh and the ancient Port of Leith. So began a strong association between the peoples of those places and the community of Hibernian Football Club.
The Tracks of My Tears
Hi, my name is Stuart Frew and I began The Tears of a Clown in August 2007 after experimenting with a few online ideas as a repository for my thoughts and words. My favoured themes can be located below as can a full site search and historical archives for the site. I like to talk about sport (Hibernian FC in particular), music, history and travel, amongst many diverse topics. I’m trained in Psychology but no, sadly, I can’t read your mind.
Please take a look around and feel free to leave a comment or two. I always attempt to reply to visitor’s contributions. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read the site.
Search this Site
- 640,311 Views
- New Term – Hopes, Dreams and Lifetimes
- Hibs: The Feelgood Factor is Returning
- To New Suicide Survivors
- Back to the Vale of Belvoir
- August in Woodborough – ‘Making Hay’
- Hibs: Scott Allan
- Happy 140th Birthday, Hibernian Football Club!
- The Park Tunnel, Nottingham
- Football on St. Mary’s Rec
- Arnold Local History Group
- Happy New Year 2015
- Happy New Year, Mum and Dad
- Hogmanay 2014
- 2014 in review
- Canada Memories
I Wrote About:Arnold Belvoir bestwood Big Country Blogging Brian Clough Canada Canadiens catholic caves celtic Clough derbyshire derek riordan Dirty Duck Easter Road eddie turnbull edinburgh Epperstone Football Forest Frew Goose Fair Gordon Smith grantham Grantham Canal halloween Harby Hibernian Hibs highlands hockey Hoveringham I CAN HEAR MUSIC ice hockey kelowna Linby liverpool love Lowdham Lowdham Book Festival mansfield Marathon Meadow Lane Montreal Nottingham nottingham panthers Nottingham pubs nottinghamshire notts Notts County Okanagan panthers Papplewick pat stanton peachland penticton Petrie pubs Rangers Redhill Robin Hood robin hood marathon ross-shire Running scotland Snow Soul Southwell Stuart Adamson The Who Walking walks Woodborough Woolsthorpe
- Psychology: How a Woman's Mind Works
- When one lie leads to another...
- Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- The Ten o'clock Horses
- The Bad Comedians
- The Ten Bridges of Newark-on-Trent
- Canada '08: The Cars are the Stars - Americans
- The Guns of Nottingham
- Nottingham Mushy Peas!
- Southwell Workhouse, Nottinghamshire
- RT @cadilambert: My lovely tweeps, please sign this for me: Please have a look at this petition, it means a lot to me: https://t.co/lQ9fKbW… 2 days ago
- Following the week that contained World Suicide Prevention Day... stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2015/09/13/to-… http://t.co/IpxVX9QuNo 2 months ago
- Back in the Vale of Belvoir, where nicer to be? stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/bac… http://t.co/Q79S12ySJL 2 months ago
- RT @_jamesparkin_: @adamhillscomedy #isitok that you can find out your "Australian cricket name" by adding the words "bowled Stuart Broad" … 3 months ago
- Its a special day, Hibs are 140 years-old today. Happy Birthday, Hibs! stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2015/08/06/hap… 3 months ago
- @cadilambert 18 months, a short time, a long time? 'Anniversaries' they come and they go. x 3 months ago
- RT @HibeesBounce: HIBERNIAN F.C was born within St.@Patrick's Church (Cowgate) on 6th August 1875. We are 140 years old on Thursday 😚😚😚😚😚😚😚 3 months ago
- William Smith on The Ten o’clock Horses
- Hibs XI on Hibernian: A team to match The Tornadoes (1)
- Tom Reviewer on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- Marion on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- kim barratt on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- Marion Harrington (née McCreadie) on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- Stuart on The Beehive, Maplebeck, Notts.
- Steve Lacey on The Beehive, Maplebeck, Notts.
- Stuart on Back to the Vale of Belvoir
- Tom Reviewer on Back to the Vale of Belvoir