A run at Portobello seems the most apt start to the day once more. I smile when passing the public bathrooms at Joppa noticing that the water in the block is heated by solar power. Good old Edinburgh, in spite of what some may think I still believe it leads the way in quite a few areas of thinking and planning.
Back home refreshed, I veer towards a plan to enlarge my ever-increasing supply of available reading matter. This means a visit to West Port near the infamous ‘Pubic Triangle’ to take in a several second-hand book stores.
A landmark birthday then (twenty-nine again) and it was decided at a late stage that this should entail a sojourn up north back to the homeland. Where better to spend a weekend without spending the equivalent of the national debt on enjoying oneself with a little mild hedonism for a couple of days?
Four of us ‘to go’ then. beginning at the testing time of Friday at five-ish on the M1 motorway. At least I think it was the M1 as it was completely obscured by a mocking, snaking train of stationary rear view lights as far as the eye could ascertain. Oh the joy, and a quickly disappearing vision of some semblance of a very welcome evening spent in the social coil of Edinburgh.
I’ve actually never struggled to leave Nottinghamshire as much as I did last Friday night. After fully two and a half hours we were merely sampling the delights of Blythe services around 30 miles north. What fun circumnavigating those plastic cones in a darkened services car park though. An unmissable experience. Continue reading →
The Tracks of My Tears
Hi, my name is Stuart Frew and I began The Tears of a Clown in August 2007 after experimenting with a few online ideas as a repository for my thoughts and words. My favoured themes can be located below as can a full site search and historical archives for the site. I like to talk about sport (Hibernian FC in particular), music, history and travel, amongst many diverse topics. I’m trained in Psychology but no, sadly, I can’t read your mind.
Please take a look around and feel free to leave a comment or two. I always attempt to reply to visitor’s contributions. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read the site.
Search this Site
- 589,743 Views
- Hibs drop deeper into the doldrums – strong action required
- Notts County: ‘Digging tunnels’ again come the Springtime?
- Independence for Scotland: A Question
- BYDAND – ‘Stand and Fight’
- Hibs in Berwick – Keeping it in ‘The Family’
- Vale of Leithen 0 – Hibs ‘Select’ 4
- Bestwood – My Evening Paradise
- Hibernian – The Broken Harp
- Hibs: One Last Effort
- The Twenty Truths of Losing Your Partner to Suicide
- Three From Victoria
- Hibs and Kenny Miller
- Hibs On The Brink
- Edinburgh – Time for Home
- Notts County: The Great Escape
I Wrote About:Arnold BC Belvoir bestwood Big Country Blogging Brian Clough Canada Canadiens catholic caves celtic Clough derbyshire derek riordan EasterRoad Easter Road eddie turnbull edinburgh Epperstone Football Forest Frew Goose Fair grantham Grantham Canal halloween Harby Hibernian Hibs highlands hockey Hoveringham I CAN HEAR MUSIC ice hockey kelowna liverpool love Lowdham Lowdham Book Festival mansfield Marathon Meadow Lane Montreal Newstead Abbey Nottingham nottingham panthers Nottingham pubs nottinghamshire notts Notts County Okanagan panthers Papplewick pat stanton peachland penticton Petrie proclaimers pubs Rangers Redhill Robin Hood robin hood marathon ross-shire Running scotland Snow Soul Southwell The Who Walking walks Woodborough York
- Psychology: How a Woman's Mind Works
- Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- Thoresby Hall Craft Fair
- An Afternoon with Jimmy Sirrel
- A Guide to Nottingham English
- 'Slim Jim' Baxter
- The Jewish Cemetery, North Sherwood Street, Nottingham
- The Ten o'clock Horses
- The Ram Inn, Redhill, Nottingham
- Hillsborough 3.06pm: You'll Never Walk Alone
- @seansauzee @KateBushMusic Enjoy it all mate. 22 hours ago
- RT @ReeceShearsmith: "You had nothing else to do, so you thought you'd come around and see me": http://t.co/z49R3X0Sgj 23 hours ago
- The little charity I work for just came into a good few thousand pounds due to the funding bid I recently wrote. #happy 1 day ago
- RT @ScotlandFuture: Scottish singer Annie Lennox on why she's supporting a YES vote #indyref #voteyes http://t.co/3eETQDyNIM 1 day ago
- An evening run under a setting sun. Late summer harvesting all around me. Mists and mellow fruitfulness to come. http://t.co/cZGuo9hTaQ 2 days ago
- Fairly certain the Craig Charles on his excellent soul show just described the official online organ of the BBC as the 'webshite'! 3 days ago
- @ihibs @seansauzee @GDEwing @webby_snr @LeeannDempster We all know that nothing will change, B - at least nothing that significantly matters 3 days ago
- Stuart on The Ram Inn, Redhill, Nottingham
- Stuart on The Ten o’clock Horses
- Joy James on The Ram Inn, Redhill, Nottingham
- Joy James on The Ten o’clock Horses
- BloggerPhotography on Hibs drop deeper into the doldrums – strong action required
- Stuart on Hibs drop deeper into the doldrums – strong action required
- Tommy on Hibs drop deeper into the doldrums – strong action required
- Paul Scriven on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- Colin Berresford on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- Paul Scriven on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood