This article was inspired by an the excellent archived article Things The Arena Generation Will Never Know… from the original hard copy fanzine version of The Cat’s Whiskers website
It’s reproduced from an article I wrote for that excellent site and is a list of twelve different memories from the original Nottingham Ice Rink located on Lower parliament Street, Nottingham, which part of the modern Nottingham Arena now stands on. The memories and nostalgia travel right back to season 1980/81 when The Nottingham Panthers were reformed and brought back to The Lace City.
The man who made it all possible. Gary Keward, Coach and reformer of the modern era Nottingham Panthers.
Whilst the memories itemised here and mostly positive one, It’s important to add that not all my experiences were as savoury when visiting the old barn. I could probably wax less than lyrical on that subject though that’s probably another article entirely. In the meantime, here are a dozen of the best that come immediately to mind. I’m sure any fan of the Black and Gold, and a good few visiting fans will find pleasant memories jogged by the following.
1. The tiny little tuck shop with the sweetie jars as you turned left after the front foyer. Always a friendly face or two peering out from the little store on game night. None of that ‘concessions’ nonsense.
2. The life-size cardboard cut out figure of the ‘new’ hockey hero Mario Lemieux in the old skate shop in the foyer. We were thrilling to the exploits of ‘The Great One’, Wayne Gretzky and watching the powerhouse Edmonton Oilers on all-to-rare an occasion on our British TV screens when ‘The Magnificent One’ came along. Just like having the real thing…
The Tracks of My Tears
Hi, my name is Stuart Frew and I began The Tears of a Clown in August 2007 after experimenting with a few online ideas as a repository for my thoughts and words. My favoured themes can be located below as can a full site search and historical archives for the site. I like to talk about sport (Hibernian FC in particular), music, history and travel, amongst many diverse topics. I’m trained in Psychology but no, sadly, I can’t read your mind.
Please take a look around and feel free to leave a comment or two. I always attempt to reply to visitor’s contributions. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read the site.
Search this Site
- 589,414 Views
- Hibs drop deeper into the doldrums – strong action required
- Notts County: ‘Digging tunnels’ again come the Springtime?
- Independence for Scotland: A Question
- BYDAND – ‘Stand and Fight’
- Hibs in Berwick – Keeping it in ‘The Family’
- Vale of Leithen 0 – Hibs ‘Select’ 4
- Bestwood – My Evening Paradise
- Hibernian – The Broken Harp
- Hibs: One Last Effort
- The Twenty Truths of Losing Your Partner to Suicide
- Three From Victoria
- Hibs and Kenny Miller
- Hibs On The Brink
- Edinburgh – Time for Home
- Notts County: The Great Escape
I Wrote About:Arnold BC Belvoir bestwood Big Country Blogging Brian Clough Canada Canadiens catholic caves celtic Clough derbyshire derek riordan EasterRoad Easter Road eddie turnbull edinburgh Epperstone Football Forest Frew Goose Fair grantham Grantham Canal halloween Harby Hibernian Hibs highlands hockey Hoveringham I CAN HEAR MUSIC ice hockey kelowna liverpool love Lowdham Lowdham Book Festival mansfield Marathon Meadow Lane Montreal Newstead Abbey Nottingham nottingham panthers Nottingham pubs nottinghamshire notts Notts County Okanagan panthers Papplewick pat stanton peachland penticton Petrie proclaimers pubs Rangers Redhill Robin Hood robin hood marathon ross-shire Running scotland Snow Soul Southwell The Who Walking walks Woodborough York
- Psychology: How a Woman's Mind Works
- North Yorkshire: Whitby, Runswick Bay and Staithes
- Canada '08: The Cars are the Stars - Americans
- Hillsborough 3.06pm: You'll Never Walk Alone
- The Bad Comedians
- Stay Alive
- Down by the Riverside - Nottingham to Newark by Bicycle
- Thoresby Hall Craft Fair
- The Beehive, Maplebeck, Notts.
- The Ten o'clock Horses
- @ihibs @seansauzee @GDEwing @webby_snr @LeeannDempster We all know that nothing will change, B - at least nothing that significantly matters 1 hour ago
- @GDEwing @seansauzee @webby_snr @LeeannDempster Yep, it's a football team and the idea is to try and win a game or two along the way, mate. 2 hours ago
- @seansauzee @GDEwing @webby_snr @LeeannDempster Good luck, Graham. Had my moments but I don't think I've ever been as cynical about Hibs... 2 hours ago
- RT @Pontifex: The Lord always forgives us and walks at our side. We have to let him do that. 10 hours ago
- One of the more arresting spam message: stuartfrew.wordpress.com ;) #thetearsofaclown 22 hours ago
- 'What a material of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious know-how concerning unpredicted feelings.' 22 hours ago
- @Hibby_D Former player? Has he retired then? 1 day ago
- Stuart on The Ram Inn, Redhill, Nottingham
- Stuart on The Ten o’clock Horses
- Joy James on The Ram Inn, Redhill, Nottingham
- Joy James on The Ten o’clock Horses
- BloggerPhotography on Hibs drop deeper into the doldrums – strong action required
- Stuart on Hibs drop deeper into the doldrums – strong action required
- Tommy on Hibs drop deeper into the doldrums – strong action required
- Paul Scriven on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- Colin Berresford on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- Paul Scriven on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood