Well I scoffed my pancakes for Shrove Tuesday last night – very nice they were too thanks. It’s been more than a year since the last ones so they were very welcome. (I have eaten other things in the meantime in case you were worried.) It’s Ash Wednesday today of course and I can tell you it’s taken me a little while to decide on what actions to take for the Lent period and I finally decided after much head-banging right up until midnight last night!
The common conception (and probably quite a reasonable one) is of ‘giving something up’ for Lent. I prefer to take a slightly more lateral view of the meaning and apply it suitably. Some say this can be by offering of your time and efforts towards others for instance and I find that example a very pleasant one. Abstaining from certain things can be a very faithful and apt way of observing Lent, but so can other behaviours and thoughts.
The Tracks of My Tears
Hi, my name is Stuart Frew and I began The Tears of a Clown in August 2007 after experimenting with a few online ideas as a repository for my thoughts and words. My favoured themes can be located below as can a full site search and historical archives for the site. I like to talk about sport (Hibernian FC in particular), music, history and travel, amongst many diverse topics. I’m trained in Psychology but no, sadly, I can’t read your mind.
Please take a look around and feel free to leave a comment or two. I always attempt to reply to visitor’s contributions. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read the site.
Search this Site
- 568,673 Views
- The Old Children’s Hospital, Nottingham
- The Skylark – Sunshine turned into Song
- John Archibald Frew
- Five Leaves Bookshop – The Road to Independence
- The Tears of a Clown – 2013 in Review
- Happy Christmas, 2013
- On the Buses…
- Sunshine on Leith
- From Eagle Valley
- On Blogging and Journalism
- Nottinghamshire History: The Extraordinary Story of Kitty Hudson – the Human Pin Cushion
- Sweet – Funny Funny
- A Late Call and Hibernian Euphoria!
- Stop Press…The Nottingham Post in new website shock!
- Hibs: McPake or Forster for the Cup?
I Wrote About:Arnold BC Belvoir bestwood Blogging Brian Clough Canada Canadiens catholic caves celtic Clough derbyshire derek riordan Easter Road EasterRoad eddie turnbull edinburgh Epperstone Football Forest Frew Gonalston Goose Fair grantham Grantham Canal halloween Harby Hibernian Hibs highlands hockey Hoveringham I CAN HEAR MUSIC ice hockey kelowna lincolnshire poacher liverpool love Lowdham Lowdham Book Festival mansfield Marathon Meadow Lane Montreal Newstead Abbey Nottingham nottingham panthers nottinghamshire notts Notts County Okanagan panthers Papplewick pat stanton peachland penticton Petrie proclaimers pubs Rangers Redhill Robin Hood robin hood marathon ross-shire Running scotland Snow Soul Southwell The Who Walking walks Woodborough York
- Psychology: How a Woman's Mind Works
- Hillsborough 3.06pm: You'll Never Walk Alone
- North Yorkshire: Whitby, Runswick Bay and Staithes
- Ding Ding - Hold Tight Please!
- Canada '08: The Cars are the Stars - Americans
- An Afternoon with Jimmy Sirrel
- The Bad Comedians
- A Highland Tour: (5) Durness
- The Ten Bridges of Newark-on-Trent
- Peter Osgood - Remembering a Sixties Great
- @seansauzee @TheGleeClub @KerryAGodliman @Hayles_Ellis Just noticed this. I would have loved that! #Hannahismagic 5 days ago
- RT @LeithLinks4Kids: We're already on course to be able to buy 30 Kicks for Kids STs in the summer. Great effort by the Hibee family. #GGT… 1 month ago
- We'll know standards have really slipped when professional footballers stoop to attacking Cliff Richard impersonators. 1 month ago
- RT @edinspotlight: Dear Edinburgh, We love you every day of the year! http://t.co/KTDM5bnLwl 2 months ago
- RT @leedrumms: @Stan_And_Ollie Ollie:Two beers please. Stan:I 'll have two beers too. Ollie:Just two beers. 3 months ago
- RT @TheresaMay_MP: Three generations living on benefits #BenefitStreet #BenefitStreet http://t.co/Ih57011rko 3 months ago
- @nicolaarchibal2 Missed this Nicola so a belated Happy New Year to you too. Hibs are looking up! 3 months ago
- liz on Sweet – Funny Funny
- Stuart on North Yorkshire: Whitby, Runswick Bay and Staithes
- Mac Dixon on North Yorkshire: Whitby, Runswick Bay and Staithes
- Simon on Nottingham Mushy Peas!
- Stuart on Nottinghamshire History: The Extraordinary Story of Kitty Hudson – the Human Pin Cushion
- Paul Bryan on Nottinghamshire History: The Extraordinary Story of Kitty Hudson – the Human Pin Cushion
- Stuart on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- Colin Berresford on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- Stuart on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- Tony Corbett on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood