You know that feeling when you’re rummaging through your old record collection? For some of us that means leafing through a heap of vinyl albums, old and familiar cover art, perhaps looking a little tired at the edges? I find that searching for oldies doesn’t work for me this way and that’s why I struggle in second-hand record stores with the myriad of titles to mull over. What does seem to happen
with me is that I get a tune or a band/artist in my head and I just HAVE to then find it – one way or another. This happened most recently to me with The Jam and in particular an album track entitled I Got By in Time from their debut album In The City.
In 1977 music was changing fast. It’s well documented how the old bands were quickly becoming passé with younger music fans. Groups like Genesis, Yes and even the likes of rock gods like Led Zeppelin were suddenly being regarded as dinosaurs, flabby, overblown and distant from the fans. In their place came people such as The Sex Pistols notably and other people such as The Damned and The Buzzcocks. Even more significantly a vanguard of other bands who came to transcend the ‘punk’ tag with their huge, original and fresh talent and commensurate record sales. These bands exemplified by The Clash and The Jam, who were never really punks but conveniently tagged as such, led rock music into the 1980s and on.
The Tracks of My Tears
Hi, my name is Stuart Frew and I began The Tears of a Clown in August 2007 after experimenting with a few online ideas as a repository for my thoughts and words. My favoured themes can be located below as can a full site search and historical archives for the site. I like to talk about sport (Hibernian FC in particular), music, history and travel, amongst many diverse topics. I’m trained in Psychology but no, sadly, I can’t read your mind.
Please take a look around and feel free to leave a comment or two. I always attempt to reply to visitor’s contributions. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read the site.
Search this Site
- 569,307 Views
I Wrote About:Arnold BC Belvoir bestwood Blogging Brian Clough Canada Canadiens catholic caves celtic Clough derbyshire derek riordan Easter Road EasterRoad eddie turnbull edinburgh Epperstone Football Forest Frew Gonalston Goose Fair grantham Grantham Canal halloween Harby Hibernian Hibs highlands hockey Hoveringham I CAN HEAR MUSIC ice hockey kelowna lincolnshire poacher liverpool love Lowdham Lowdham Book Festival mansfield Marathon Meadow Lane Montreal Newstead Abbey Nottingham nottingham panthers nottinghamshire notts Notts County Okanagan panthers Papplewick pat stanton peachland penticton Petrie proclaimers pubs Rangers Redhill Robin Hood robin hood marathon ross-shire Running scotland Snow Soul Southwell The Who Walking walks Woodborough York
- Psychology: How a Woman's Mind Works
- Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- North Yorkshire: Whitby, Runswick Bay and Staithes
- Hillsborough 3.06pm: You'll Never Walk Alone
- Canada '08: The Cars are the Stars - Americans
- Nottingham Rock City
- The Bad Comedians
- Ding Ding - Hold Tight Please!
- Historic Edinburgh: Mary King's Close
- The Grantham Canal Walk (5): Redmile to Woolsthorpe
- @seansauzee @TheGleeClub @KerryAGodliman @Hayles_Ellis Just noticed this. I would have loved that! #Hannahismagic 1 week ago
- RT @LeithLinks4Kids: We're already on course to be able to buy 30 Kicks for Kids STs in the summer. Great effort by the Hibee family. #GGT… 1 month ago
- We'll know standards have really slipped when professional footballers stoop to attacking Cliff Richard impersonators. 1 month ago
- RT @edinspotlight: Dear Edinburgh, We love you every day of the year! http://t.co/KTDM5bnLwl 2 months ago
- RT @leedrumms: @Stan_And_Ollie Ollie:Two beers please. Stan:I 'll have two beers too. Ollie:Just two beers. 3 months ago
- RT @TheresaMay_MP: Three generations living on benefits #BenefitStreet #BenefitStreet http://t.co/Ih57011rko 3 months ago
- @nicolaarchibal2 Missed this Nicola so a belated Happy New Year to you too. Hibs are looking up! 3 months ago
- liz on Sweet – Funny Funny
- Stuart on North Yorkshire: Whitby, Runswick Bay and Staithes
- Mac Dixon on North Yorkshire: Whitby, Runswick Bay and Staithes
- Simon on Nottingham Mushy Peas!
- Stuart on Nottinghamshire History: The Extraordinary Story of Kitty Hudson – the Human Pin Cushion
- Paul Bryan on Nottinghamshire History: The Extraordinary Story of Kitty Hudson – the Human Pin Cushion
- Stuart on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- Colin Berresford on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- Stuart on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood
- Tony Corbett on Nottinghamshire: Old Bestwood